Adapted from a Allison Roman Recipes for NYT.
- 3 medium cooked beets peeled and roasted until soft when poked with a fork*
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (or honey)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil plus more to garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground za'atar (optional)
- 3/4 cup full-fat sour cream, labneh or yogurt (or dairy alternative)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a blender (or food processor) combine the roasted beets, walnuts, garlic, vinegar and maple syrup. Blend to combine.
With the blender running, drizzle in the olive oil. Season dip with salt and za'atar, if using. Blend into a smooth paste. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed
To serve: partially fold in the sour cream, yogurt of non-dairy alternative then drizzle generously with olive oil. Sprinkle with herbs and black pepper. Finish with flaky salt.
* you can absolutely boil these instead of roast but roasting adds a nice flavor